Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Little System Recharge

The highlight of our journey thus far arrived in Salt Lake City when we met up with my childhood friend, Kim, her new husband, Tim, and their doggy friends Delaney, Echo, and Onyx (who was just adopted by their friend, and they happened to be doggy-sitting). 

Jo, Tim, & Kim!
We were in kindergarten together, and some of my most fond elementary school memories involve her mid-October birthday parties, which always included pumpkin carving, seed fights, and archery.  We lost touch after elementary school and from there, neither one of us can distinctly remember the last time we really connected.  However, our moms have remained very close friends, and the prospect of getting us together became their mission.  I think they must have been more excited than us at first—giddy probably describes it well.  Sean, Beckett, Coop, and I are so grateful that they started the ball rolling because we had a blast!  I told Kim that it was crazy that although it had been so long since we had been in touch, it was so easy to talk and talk and talk.  I don’t think we shut-up for more than a few seconds at a time!  Kim, Tim, and pup friends treated us to an absolutely gorgeous hike at Wasatch-Cache National Forest.  In preparation for our hike, Sean went to REI and purchased a Deuter Kid Comfort III hiking backpack for Beckett. 

Sean's fake smile and Beckett's little pod.  Soon he won't have to look out the sides--he'll be tall enough to look out the front!
After using it for a few hours hiking, we highly recommend this pack to anyone looking for a high-quality pack.  Beckett loved it!  He refused to fall asleep until the very end.   

Sleepy man--we tightened him in so he'd be secure as he slept.  Otherwise, it has tons of room!
It’s made so that he is actually in a seated position.  He has full head support, a five-point harness, and it even has a built-in sun shade!   

Little hand on his knee :)  Digging his new ride.
Throughout the entire hike, he was looking all around at the gorgeous views, iridescent yellow leaves, and bubbling streams.  Kim said we were there right at the peak of the changing trees.  How perfect! 

Our old camera doesn't do it justice!

Beautiful yellows!
The fam!
Cooper was in heaven with his three girlfriends: a german shepherd, a husky, and a lab.  The best part was, as I mentioned previously, that they were actually allowed to be off leash on odd-numbered days.  Otherwise, on even-numbered days, just watch out for the mountain bikes coming at ya!  The dogs were loving life-- running ahead, creating their own trails, chasing each other, and drinking the fresh water from the streams.   

Best shot I could get of the pups--they move too fast!

Coop making sure everyone is present and accounted for!
Echo, the husky, decided as Kim informed us is the norm, to go off on her own for about two-thirds of the hike.  She rejoined us, safely at the end.  She decided to have her own adventure.  At the peak of the hike was a beautiful lake, Dog Lake, which was full of big dogs swimming, chasing each other, and running around.  Beckett enjoyed watching the dogs play.  Our goal is to make him a little nature-lovin’ baby, and I’m pretty sure after this trip, he is on his way!

Dog Lake!

Kim decided last minute she’d join us for the Salt Lake City Metro Dash, and bright and early the next morning she showed up to get her map and have some Metro Dashin’ fun.  Let me just tell you, she was in one of the middle heats of the pack, and she was still the second girl to finish.  She did awesome—so proud of her!

Up and over!

Loving those slam balls!
Power Ropes!
She still managed a smile at the finish!

Beckett's Utah girlfriend!

 The event went off well, and afterwards, we hit the road.  After a short night’s sleep in Oregon (thanks to our little one who has decided it is imperative he eats at least once every two hours at nighttime or he screams like you are cutting off his leg), we hit the road again for another long drive to Seattle. 

This is the part of our trip we have been looking forward to the most.  Neither Sean or I have ever visited the Pacific Northwest.  Sadly, my ideas of what it looks like stem primarily from watching Dante’s Peak and of course Twilight (duh).  Let’s not even get into the sad fact that I have secretly been wishing to see the Cullen’s in the woods ever since we got here. *Sigh*  Oh, and I have also been searching for Seattle Grace and McDreamy.  Also a no-go.  Sean just shakes his head at me.  So unsupportive!  So once we crossed the state line from Idaho into Oregon, and then from Oregon to Washington, I kept looking for the signs that we had finally reached the Pacific Northwest.  There were mountains and plateaus and valleys.  But they all looked so dry and desolate.  Where were the lush forests filled with sparkling vampires?  Sometime about an hour out of Seattle, it was like we crossed an imaginary line.  There were mountains of tall evergreen trees, gigantic snow capped mountains in the distance, and mist hovering among the trees giving them a mystical appearance.  We had finally reached the Pacific Northwest, and it was breathtaking!

Today we spent the day in downtown Seattle.  Our main objective was to scout out pre-planned event points, but for the first time since we began our journey in the land-yacht (see below),

we gladly took on the role of tourists.  Sean even humored me and happily took me to the two places on my list of things to do. 
1. Go to the world-famous Pike Place Fish Market. 

 Mom and baby waiting for some action!
I have wanted to go to the fish market for a while now, but my desire to go there was multiplied after I read the quick and easy read, Fish!, about five years ago.


Now, it may look boring, but I promise if you read it with an open mind, and take what it says to heart, it can change your life!  It did mine!  This book is based off of the philosophies of Pike Place Fish Market.  Themes like, "Choose Your Attitude," and "Make Their Day," are the foundations of the fish market.  These are the goals of the people who work at the market.  They aim to help people while selling them fish.  Now after saying all this, I must say I was a little bit underwhelmed by the fish market.  I was so hoping they'd throw my fish, but no dice.  My mom suggested that maybe it was our timing.  After all, we did visit around 4:00 on a Monday afternoon.  Maybe they reserve their best fish throwing for weekends and tourist high times?  We did, however,  get to see one chunk of wrapped fish thrown, and one of the workers jump up on the freezer case shouting out something undetectable, but that's it.  Although, the man who got my fish did engage me in a conversation about Beckett--he had a one year-old at home whose name is Colbin.  So, we talked about choosing original names for a bit.  Maybe that was his way of "making my day."  I must admit, I did use Beckett as a little pawn in my game to get some special attention and some possible fish-throwing action.  I mean, how cute can you be in your little dragon beanie?  I think it worked against me.  I will say, however, the fresh-caught salmon was delicious, and we enjoyed it for dinner!

2. My second to-do while in Seattle was to go to the original Starbucks and get a pumpkin spice latte.  I even made myself forgo my morning cup of coffee in anticipation of this event.  Now that, my friends, is serious.  And when I say “Sean happily took me,” what I really mean is that “Sean was scared what might happen if I didn’t get a little caffeine in my system after a week and a half of waking at least every two hours to feed the baby, so he really had no choice.”  That Sean, he’s a smart man.

Pumpkin spice latte = pure bliss
Another added benefit of today’s excursion included a nice walk around the waterfront: 



Woops, sorry to cut you out, little man!
We also stopped on a whim for a pastry because the smart evil owners vent the ovens directly onto the street so all you can smell is cinnamon apple bun goodness.  Another incredible highlight was lunch out at a restaurant for the first time since August.  Today was the first time it was cool enough at 60 degrees to leave Cooper in the RV without it running.  After a walk around Seattle with Cooper, so he wouldn’t feel left out, we brought him back to the RV, where he sat in the driver seat the whole time, guarding his home.  I can’t tell you how freeing it was for all three of us to go into a public place together.  It was just what I needed to reset my system and feel like a normal person.  Love ya, Mr. Coopsters, but unfortunately everyone doesn’t love you as much as I do, so sometimes ya gotta stay in the RV so your mom doesn’t go crazy.  I think that’s a small price to pay.

We hope to get some hiking in this week--Beckett keeps bugging us about getting in his new pack again.  So hopefully we'll have some more fun pictures to share soon!

3 comments:

  1. Awww I love this post! Its my favorite so far, I love them all though! Zade and I have the same pictures outside Pikes place and the original Starbucks! Love pikes place, I need to live within walking distance and go there everyday I think.
    Love you all and so so happy you are having such a great time and you got to recharge a little bit! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these blogs:). You write them so well and you are superheros for traveling all the way across the country without a single restaurant stop until now! (I bet it was the best) Cooper must have been so stunning to anyone passing by--I can see it (even without a picture);). And that's another thing:the pictures--you make the saying "worth 1,000 words" ring true! Wonderful! Keep these blog babys coming:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want you to compile these into a book, okay? ;)

    ReplyDelete